Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kayfabe Q&A: Cameron Large



When did you decide you wanted to be a Pro Wrestler?

I saw a poster, showed up at a free event, beat Jack Evans at Tekken, and then was offered a spot wrestling by the promoter, who said, 'You're too big to not wrestle'.

Who were your favorites growing up?

Growing up, I liked guys like Scott Steiner, Mankind, and Vader. Vader especially though. The way he threw guys around and mistreated them was pretty entertaining. Of course, after I became an adult, I found guys like Ric Flair more entertaining than I did as a child. Still though, guys who would put people over are by far the best. Vader is a great example of this, as Vader vs. Sting can attest to.

Was your family supportive of you becoming a wrestler? 

My family... well, that's an odd question. My father didn't know about it until about 6 months in, and my mother said, "Don't hurt yourself dearie" in her totally caring yet worried manner. She was supportive, paying for tickets to any event she was in driving distance to. She just wanted to see me perform. My father occasionally showed up, but when he did, he brought his girlfriend, her family members, and all sorts of people. I would say overall, I was supported, save for the times when I was injured.


Where did you train and what was it like?

I trained at a place called "The Havoc Haven". Honestly, I loved the training I got with the man who trained me. Dave "Havoc" Hollenbeck was (and still is) a ring wizard. The guy is actually trained in multiple legitimate martial arts styles, including Shotokan Karate, Jiujitsu, and other styles. We actually trained under the same martial arts trainer years before we met. I've trained with guys like Davey Richards and Tony Kozina after him, but I first trained with Dave, and I'll tell you, I didn't learn anything better than I did with him.

Years later, I still look to Dave for all of my personal wrestling questions. I talk to him often, to this day.

Have you gotten to meet many big names since you started? And if so, what was your impression of them?

What you consider a big name, I consider a co-worker. I'm a wrestler. Anybody I've met is a wrestler. Does it matter that it was Colt Cabana, or Dr. Tom Prichard, or Beau James? No. They're just wrestlers. They're all the same. Some might have more knowledge, but I could argue that I have as much, if not more knowledge than some guys on national television. It's almost an unfair question.

My favourite "Famous" guy I've ever met was Norman Smiley. He was a real badass, though, there, I name dropped and told you someone I idolize at the same time.

What is your favorite match that you have competed in so far, and why?

Honestly? I've enjoyed all of them. I've enjoyed the brutal physical combat with Mike Santiago, I've enjoyed the candid cartoonishness of wrestling Marion Gein, and I've enjoyed the oldschool brawls with Hoss TuLL. I really enjoyed wrestling with Havoc, when I was one of the Lovejoy boys, and I've enjoyed the physical ass kicking I gave and received against JD Mason. I challenge myself to bring the best out of my opponent. As a heel, my job isn't to look good, it's to make my opponent be the best he can be, and I strive to deliver every time I'm in the ring.


Who is your dream opponent?

Honestly? Nobody. I'm done fighting. I'm the most hated guy in the NW. Without a true face in this area, I refuse to continue to wrestle. I've challenged Tony Kozina to a legitimate exchange after I watched his worked "shoot match" with a 16 year old kid, and he avoids responding. I've challenged anybody to fight me for real, and they've told me "No."

Nobody in this area is willing to brawl with me, and that's sad. It's really sad. I'm even willing to work it and say it's a legitimate fight, but people fear me. It's not that I'm gonna hurt them, it's that I'm gonna make them realize what it takes to be a real wrestler. It's either that, or a real pay-out. No promoter in the PNW has given a real pay-out in their entire lives.

What is the toughest and/or easiest part about being a wrestler?

The toughest part is easily getting beat up, disrespected, and mistreated for little to no money. I wouldn't suggest wrestling as a career opportunity for anyone. It's bullshit, and nobody is willing to give you the time of day unless you're unnaturally well built. If you're 6'5 and have the body that all the ladies want, you have a chance, but I know guys who are immaculately constructed at 5'11 and nobody gives a crap. You know what they say, you can train anybody to be a wrestler, but you can't train anybody to be 6'5".

It's garbage, but it's true. Wrestling is about looks these days. I'll never make a million dollars being a fat ass who can do the same moves that a guy who has abs can do.


Any funny stories from your time in the business?

Okay, so, this one time, I was in my car, we were doing a double shot (I know you guys love lingo!) and we stopped at this guy's house halfway through. We fell asleep at 5AM in his parking lot, but I never turned off my headlights, because I forgot they were on because it was already sunlight. My car died, and I woke up the next morning to the asshole in my passenger seat elbowing my window. I calmed him down, and we shouted out the 1 inch crack in my window to a lady who unlocked my car, which was dead, so my door locks wouldn't work in my beat to shit 1989 Acura Legend. WE WERE TRAPPED IN MY CAR. Yeah, so, she unlocked my car.

Also, I boxed another guy in a locker room that was the size of a bathroom with 25 guys in it.
And in the same building, I had the state commission threaten me because I got busted in the face with a mirror by an opponent and bled all over the place.

What do you think about the PG direction of the current WWE product?

I haven't watched WWE in so long, I do not understand what you mean by PG direction. I seriously do not watch professional wrestling, ever. The only things I know are the things other people mention to me, and I occasionally watch something on youtube because it's 4AM and I'm drunk and have exhausted my supply of "LETS PLAY" videos. (Those are where podcasters play video games and give commentary.)


The business as a whole is down right now. What do you think needs to change to help it grow to where it was in the late 90's?

The business is down because the cat's been let out of the bag, and people are offended that it's fake. They aren't saying it, but the big problem is, "YOU TRICKED ME!" It's like, they're offended because Hulk Hogan is just a tall guy with a great body who can't really fight, but they don't care that Jesus or Santa Claus doesn't really exist.

It's funny, how hypocritical the United States is. We're talking about a group of people who are willing to suspend disbelief for so many things, but not for gladiator sports. They want to see people get hurt for real, they're animals. I can get people to show up to watch me fight an MMA guy, but they don't REALLY care if it's obviously a fake fight between me and an opponent. America has given up on theatre, and promoted reality television, which they are still too stupid to realize is the next generation of theatre.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years from now?

5 years from now? In Graduate School, finishing up my courses so I can teach English, write shitty poetry, and teach political discourse classes. I'm going to be a college professor, and I might have started late, but I'm never going to give up educating people. I've done nothing but learn and teach wrestling since I got involved, and I hope to do the same in every academic thing I get involved in. Hell, I might be Mayor in 5 years, you'll never know.


Any upcoming shows you would like to plug?

No. There are no upcoming shows that showcase my talent, and I've not made a single friend in wrestling that I'd be willing to plug an event for. The only group that are worth mentioning is HPG Pro, and they're a legitimate outfit of Brazilian Jiujitsu fighters. They're not even Pro Wrestlers. I guarantee it's more entertaining than any fake fighting you'll see in this area, and if I'd work anywhere, you'll see me there.

Why did you get involved with it if you Dislike it so much? Or did you lose interest afterwards?

It's not that. The political structure of wrestling is horrible.

But what about the other side of the curtain? The part where you go out and entertain the crowds. Do you still find that redeemable?

If promoters do not promote, there isn't enough of an audience to feel like it's worth breaking my body anymore. There isn't anyone who can successfully produce an event AND a paycheck in this area that is currently running events.



No comments:

Post a Comment